Sunday, September 25, 2011

Firenze Day 5: Getting Adjusted

Ciao!


Not all that much happened today! I am feeling less weirded out and horribly homesick than I did last night when I parted with my parents, which felt more like I severed a major artery.
I didn't get hardly any sleep at all last night. (As Erika Juengling would say:) Here is the thing, Italians like to party hard. Holy moly holy, my friends. It was outrageously noisy outside my window last night and into the morning.
How late last night? What morning? What???
Yep, at midnight or maybe even 1am I was thinking the noise would dwindle a bit.
NOPE!
I looked out the window at 4:30am, wondering why on earth the noise was getting louder...
Oh, here's why... there were even MORE people outside at that time!!!!
It was also Dante's-Inferno hot last night. I had the fan on high... as high as it would go. But I was just sweating like a pig (I realize that pigs don't sweat, but it is just an EXPRESSION people, so please just get over it.) I kept groaning: Please people... JUST GO TO BED NOW! It is FOUR in the morning.
My mom gave me some earplugs, but did these help?
Not really.
Kind of, but...
Not really.
And these sirens kept blasting by my house.
(As E.J. would say:) Here is the thing, I live in the country. All I hear outside are crickets. THOSE WEREN'T CRICKETS LAST NIGHT!!!!
So, needless to say, I was a bit tired this morning when my alarm went off at 8am. I took a shower, which felt good. Had myself a bowl of cornflakes and a glass of orange juice. OH! I need to tell you something. So, my discovered this really, really, really delicious juice. It is part orange juice, part lemon juice, and part carrot juice--you wouldn't think this would be a good combination, but it is A-MAZ-ING! So incredibly good.
I have the bed on the right. 


Creepy naked flying babies. AKA: Cherubs. 






I use this chair to blog and facebook. 




Kitchen. 


Window in kitchen. 


This is where I can hang my wet clothes. 


Kitchen sink. Only one person can fit in here. 


Old stove, but it works. I cooked pasta tonight. It was delicious. 


This thing is my savior. 


I met up with my fellow Oregonians at 9:45am for orientation. I don't think I really have to tell you much other than this trip is going to be amazing and we are going to go on a TON of WONDERFUL day trips to museums and different places in Italy.
Also I hope to visit Paris sometime on this trip.
After our little orientation. I went with my group and walked around town a little bit. We ended up having lunch at this family owned Italian restaurant, which I've learned is the best way to go, much more personalized that way. I had a I-LOVE-LIFE-AND-I-WANT-TO-KEEP-EATING-THIS-SORT-OF-DELICIOUS-FOOD type of lunch--it was a meatball tomato soup in a bread bowl. And the best thing about bread bowls is that you get to eat them! Yum!
I then went home... my apartment.
I grabbed my camera and then went exploring, taking pictures as I went. I think you will like them. I am right down the street from the Duomo. And I am also right down the street from the Santa Croce (I hope I wrote this rig. So, I took pictures of these. I was all by myself and was able to figure out where everything was around my apartment. I am getting adjusted to this city.
Then I went on a tour with my group and our Art History teacher. She is a vivacious German who moved to Italy and teaches American students. How about that? Cool, eh?


The Duomo. Just down the street from my apartment. I can actually see it from outside my apartment door. Crazy, eh?




















My back was killing me today.
I have been in soooo much pain lately.
I need to go to a Farmacia and get some meds. I hope I can make it through this trip, but my back is seriously KILLING ME right now.
So much pain.
Yuck.
Well, I met my roommate. She is very nice. I made dinner for her tonight. Pasta, with a little olive oil, roasted garlic, and cheese. Such good cheese here. And garlic. Yum! Yum! Yum!
She cleaned up afterwards.
I think we are going to get along well.
Well, I know one thing. I need to sweep these floors. My feet are absolutely disgusting. And I will show you the picture. Gag!


I am going to end here. Not as exciting stuff as before. Sorry about that. I don't think I will be able to blog every single night from now on because I start school tomorrow! Italian 101. Very, very exciting. I can't wait.


Arriderci!

2 comments:

  1. Amanda, what happened that your back started killing you? So sorry for that. Thanks for the introduction to your apartment. It looks very livable. Take care and study up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it just hurts when I walk around a lot and various other things can hurt. The little things add up. I haven't really kept up on my Yoga, which is difficult when traveling, but I definitely need to get on top of that. I bought some ibprofin. This is something I forgot to bring.

    ReplyDelete