Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Day 8 in Firenze...but I am really talking about yesterday.

Ciao! 


Eight days now. Wow. 
The days are just whizzing by now. 


Well, if you read yesterday's post you will know that I had a rough first day of school. I got really homesick and was a mess. AN ABSOLUTE MESS. 
But here is a funny thing I was thinking about today: Good ole happy lives where everything goes perfectly perfect are rather boring to read. We like to read stories where people have struggles. Where people fail, suffer, endure, and then triumph... well, hopefully this happens in the end. We like this kind of story because we can--in some small way or another--relate to that person's struggles.  
My Point: Suffer = Entertaining 
Thus: My Life's story has GOT to be entertaining. 


Moving on. 
So, the second day of school went MUCH better. It was a lot easier to follow what was going on in my Italian 101 class. I was getting a hang of things. I was feeling happy. Plus: Everyone said they were feeling on the idiotic side. It was just me!!! We were all struggling sort of in that class. WELL HELLO!!! We are there to learn. That is what you do Amanda. You struggle. You learn. You move on. Ok?
Yesterday I just heated up my spaghetti for lunch. Popped it in the microwave. Holy moly soooooo good. Oh my goodness gracious... I need to tell you something. So, my mother bought me some chocolate biscotti... good GOD they are delicious. I have literally--well... ok, not LITERARLLY--been inhaling those suckers. Soooooooooo ridiculously good. There are times where I am thinking, I am going to get so fat on this trip, but then when I have to hike up the mountain of stairs to my school and walk the few blocks down to my school I think, this will even out. I should come back home looking pretty much the same. 
I also went on a little walk around my neighborhood. 
Get your picture drawn. 




I wanted to go on. 



DON'T GO NEAR THE MARKETS!!!!

Armni Collezione. 

I have yet to go inside this store. 

See the street signs are on the corners of the buildings. 


So, I have GOT to tell you about my ART HISTORY class. I just have to. My Art History class consists of a two hour lecture and then a two hour walk to the ACTUAL SIGHTS!!! Yesterday we went to the Santa Croce and saw... wait for it... or not because you can just skim this part... we saw Michelangelo's tomb! Oh my good golly gosh. Did you know that Michelangelo originally died in Rome and was going to be buried in Rome. They were actually planning to have a big celebration (well, sounds like a bad word, but I think you get the idea), but the Florentine's stole his body and hulled him to Florence.
Funny story right?
I thought so. 
Oh! Another funny Michelangelo story to add here. I was near the Santa Croce innocently looking at postcards to buy and I just couldn't make out what this one image was. Turns out.. . it was David's crotch. Great. Who seriously sends out postcards of a close-up on a statue's penis?
(I could make all sorts of crude jokes about the statue's penis, but I won't.)


One day I will take a picture of me holding this card. 


Anyhow that was a wonderful Art History class. I love my 


teacher too. I think I've said this before, but she is a german 


woman who moved to Italy to teacher American students Art 


History. Whew. She is hilarious. So vivacious and she snorts 


when she laughs, which always makes me smile. 


Later that night I caught up on my blog postings, read more of "The Help," had my laptop play me some music, and cooked myself dinner. I have recently realized how much I LOVE cooking, especially when I have such good food to cook with. My roommate was out for the night. It was just me. It was relaxing. It is better if I blog in the silence... because my head is one noisy place. Anyhow, back to the food part. I made a salad. An absolutely delicious salad. I chopped up some carrots (really crisp delicious mouth-watering carrots) and then tossed those in. I also pleasantly surprised myself. I forgot we bought salami, now Italian salami is super thin, pulls apart when you take it out and is just out of this world delicious. My mouth is water right now just thinking about it. Then I just drizzled some olive oil (Italian first press olive oil) and balsamic vinegar. I know I say this a lot, but... GOOD GOD it was delicious. I wanted to scream out loud at how delicious it was. So simple too. 



I think that is all I want to say today. Not too much to comment on today. Italian was fun because we actually went out into the markets and learned what the names of various foods were. I saw horse meat again... uggggggggghhhhhhhh! It was a lot of fun and interactive... this market was amazing. 

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a very full day!!!!! I am glad that you are able to make a yummy meal. You is Smart, You is Beautiful and You is important!!!!! And most important I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I love that you just put in my favorite Help quote. That just made my day. I love you too momma. :)

    ReplyDelete